Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Whirlwind + romance


Whenever I hear the word 'whirlwind', I think  'wild, crazy, wonderful, and amazingly fast'....  and I always think of the word as part of the phrase 'whirlwind romance'.    I have a friend who is in the midst of such a romance.  It's pretty cool and magical, even watching from the outside... I can only imagine what it's like, on the inside.



But you know me... I started wondering...  what does 'whirlwind' truly mean?  When you think about it, it sounds like a meteorological term.. perhaps a mini-windstorm.

Hmmm.. I think I'm sorry I asked...  it rather takes all of the romance out of things.  Oh dear...  definitions of whirlwind include 'a violent or destructive force', and 'a confused rush'.  That's not the sort of romance I would ever want, or that I'd wish on my friends.

But wait -- all is not lost.. the merriam-webster dictionary lists the following synonyms -  'blistering' (as in 'hot and heavy'), 'hot' (as in 'hot and heavy'), and breathless and dizzy.  That's not too bad.  Of course, it also lists 'whirlwind' as a synonym for 'whirlwind'...   that one's not too helpful, but I like the others.

And while I was wandering around, I found a really cool quote from D. H. Lawrence...
"And what's romance?  Usually a nice little tale where you have everything as you like it, where rain never wets your jacket and gnats never bite your nose, and it's always daisy-time."

Add a little hot and heavy, and a little breathless and dizzy.... and that's the sort of romance I'm thinking of.  And I really like that word ....  daisy-time.

So to everyone out there... young and old, single and newlywed and old married couple ....I wish you lots of daisy time.. and a good cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment