Friday, March 8, 2013

(sometimes) It's not as important as it seems

For those who read my post on hobbies, you already know that flytying is one of my hobbies.  Flytying is the 'art' of attaching bits and pieces of fur and feathers and string, and whatnot  (purchased at the whatnot store, of course)... to a hook.  Flyfishing -- which I do NOT do -- consists of throwing those hooks into the water, and pulling out a fish.

Now, I could bore you with the story of how I got into flytying, but I won't.  Ok, maybe I will, but just the short version.  Some years ago, we used to go fishing in lakes and streams, and people tried to talk me into flyfishing.  While I had no interest in that, I declared that I would prefer to tie those flies.    And everyone laughed.  So -- I got a book and a video, and some bits and pieces, and the ever-essential whatnot, and by golly,  I tied flies.
Not all of them looked quite as pretty as the ones in the book, but I felt they were good enough.  So, to humor me, my husband fished with some of my flies.  And by golly, he caught fish with the flies I'd tied!



But, as time went on, I started to suspect that perhaps he could have caught fish with just about anything... there was nothing special or magical about my flies, and that the manner in which I attached the bits and pieces of whatnot, really wasn't that important.

And I was right.

Today, I came across a blog about a man who caught a trout, flyfishing with a key .  Yes,  plain, ordinary house car.. or it might have been a car key.. I'm not sure.  But it's not important.  And that was the whole point of his post.  If you're in the right place, at the right time, with the right fish, you're going to catch it, no matter what you throw at it.

Teapot Musings is not about fishing, or flytying..  so why am I boring you with this?   Because I'm thinking that there are lots of things that just aren't as important as they seem.  Now, don't get me wrong.    Regular readers of teapot musing certainly know better than to think I'm suggesting that nothing is important, so don't worry about it.  No, what I am suggesting is that we should think about things, and not just take them at face value.  You can't just throw a teapot into the water and catch a fish, BUT..  it really doesn't matter if you're thread isn't quite as straight, or if the whole thing slips and is a bit catawampus on the hook, or if the glob of glue at the end is a bit globbier than it should be.
And a blog might have some good stuff in it, even if the layout is awkward.  And that frumpy looking man with his hair all askew might be an excellent attorney.  And that funny looking girl might be a better auto mechanic than anyone else around.  The blog content needs to be well-written; the attorney needs to be knowledgeable, the mechanic needs to be skilled.  And the hook with the bits and pieces needs to be in the right place... but it might not even need the whatnot, in order to work.

Sometimes, it's important.  But sometimes, it's not as important as it seems.

Now, my tea....  that's important.

No comments:

Post a Comment