Thursday, September 20, 2012

The problem with a series....

... is that you have to figure out a way to keep it exciting.  Personally, I liked all of the J.K. Rowling Harry Potter books, but there were many who felt that the story was getting tired and old, by the last one.  I'm a big fan of Jasper Fforde, especially the Thursday Next series, and was a little disappointed when he shifted to Shades of Grey.

But -- you have to know when enough is enough.

I recently read V is for Vengeance, by Sue Grafton.  Not sure if I've read all of A through U.. but I've read many of them.. and my recollection was that I very much enjoyed the Kinsey Milhone stories.  But I found myself having trouble staying focused on V... I was bored, and easily distracted.  Couldn't decide if Grafton was losing her touch, or if the problem was me.. and there's no question that once you start with A is for ?hmmm.. Alibi? I think..  you kind of back yourself into a promise of 25 more books.
I'm currently reading Strategic Moves, by Stuart Woods.  Again, I've enjoyed the Stone Barrington books in the past, and the story seems like it has potential.. but the writing seems stilted, the dialog seems forced.. and I feel like Woods doesn't enjoy doing this anymore.

I'm thinking about Nano 2012....  and my reputation for killing off key characters  (can you really establish a reputation based on 3 stories?) ..  and I'm feeling pressured (not by others, but by myself) to keep all of my characters alive this year.  But on the other hand, I often respond to comments about my predilection for killing characters, by saying "That's how I know I've come to the end."  And knowing that you've come to the end, isn't necessarily a bad thing.

ah.. I hear the kettle boiling.. back to my tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment